Try this easy bread pudding with crème anglaise, English custard. Enjoy with your family this warm rum-flavored-raisin-dotted bread pudding. This soft-textured milky dessert is slightly seasoned with pungent nutmeg. Mmm.. even with salted butter caramel sauce? That’s shortcut to heaven :)
English Raisin Bread Pudding Recipe
For 2 persons ( a baking dish of 1/4 cup, 540ml)
Prep time: 30 min
Cooking time: 40 min
- 1/4 cup raisins (38 g)
- 1 tablespoon rum, optional
- 3-4 sandwich white bread slices (120 g)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened (15 g)
- 3/4 cup milk (178 ml)
- 4/5 cup whipping cream (2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons; 190 ml)
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar (56 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated (or ground cinnamon)
- Your choice of confectioner’s sugar or light brown sugar (cassonade)
- Salted butter caramel sauce, optional
Preheat the oven at 320 degrees F (160 C). Soak the raisins in rum.
Make crème anglaise, custard
In a medium sauce pan, stir in sugar, vanilla extract, milk, and whipping cream. Over medium heat, bring to a boil; set aside. In a mixing bowl, crack in the egg and beat until white. Slowly add milk mixture into egg mixture while whisking.
Get ready for baking
Spread butter on the bread slices and cut them in bite-size. Place the bread on the bottom of the each ramekin, or a choice of your baking pan. Add in raisins. Dust with ground nutmeg. Then pour in custard.
Place ramekins in a large tin plate and fill the tin half-full with boiling water. Put the pan in the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the custard is set. And let cool for 10 minutes in the tin.
Then sprinkle with light brown sugar or confectioner’s sugar. And drizzle salted butter caramel as desired. Serve when hot.