For various reasons, many people avoid commercial corn syrup. So here goes a homemade corn syrup recipe.
* this corn syrup substitute recipe is for my no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies.
- 3/4 cup drinking water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch salt
- 1. Add all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir to combine.
- 2. Over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spatula, bring it to a boil. Then let boil until it reaches 240 degrees F, 112 C. This is soft ball stage.
- 3. Let cool on a cooling rack.
- Soft-ball stage: 235-240 degrees F
- Firm-ball stage: 245-250 degrees F
- Hard-ball stage: 250-265 degrees F
It can be stored in air-tight container for 2 months.