Got an empty cookie jar? Fill it with palets bretons, delicious French cookies.
In France there are many popular recipes from Bretagne. Palet breton is one of them. Palets Bretons are delicious, crumbly thick butter cookies which are found everywhere in France.
* Palet means ‘disk’.
Gather your ingredients. This cookie recipe requires only 6 ingredients: butter, flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, and vanilla.
First, sift dry ingredients: flour and baking powder only.
Then cream salted butter. Salted butter is used in Brittany cooking. If you don’t have one, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt into 1/2 cup of unsalted butter.
Stir in the sugar.
And stir in the egg yolks and vanilla extract.
Pour in the dry mixture all at once and fold until combined.
Now make a cylinder with batter and cover with plastic wrap. The cookie dough should be chilled in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to stabilize the butter and relax the gluten in it.
Now slice the dough.
And arrange the disks into the cupcake molds.
Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until crumbly. The cookie might feel dry but but palets bretons are like that: they should be thoroughly cooked.
A silicon cupcake pan comes in handy when removing the cookies out of the pan.
It is very crumbly thick cookie which can be pretty versatile when you want to be creative.
Add ice cream, chocolate, or other spread on top, then decorate with your choice of fresh or caramelized fruits. They will turn into an instant fancy restaurant dessert.
Palets Bretons Recipe – French Butter Cookies from Brittany
Yield: 20 palet cookies
Prep time: 20 minutes
Resting time: 2 hours
Baking time: 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (190g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened (115g) *
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100g)
- 2 egg yolks (36g)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Egg whites for brushing
- Mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or dried fruits of your choice, optional
* If unsalted butter used, mixed in 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Silicon cupcake pan, recommended
1. In a mixing bowl sift in 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. And whisk to combine. Set aside.
2. Cream 1/2 cup of softened salted butter with a whisk. Add in 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and whisk until light and fluffy. Then stir in 2 egg yolks. Keep remaining egg whites. Finally stir in 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.
3. Pour the dry mixture into the wet all at once. And fold until combined. If you want, now is the time to fold in your choice of chocolate, nuts, or dried fruits.
4. Make a cylinder (1 1/2 inch, 4 cm, in diameter) with the batter and cover it with a plastic wrap. Rest in the refrigerator for 2 hours. This is to stabilize the butter and relax the gluten in the cookie dough.
5. Preheat the oven to 340° F. (170° C.)
6. Cut the cookie roll into 1/2 inch think slices. Cookies easily spread, so distribute the slices into muffin molds. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
To make salted butter, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt into 1/2 cup of unsalted butter.