Pastry cream (crème pâtissière) is a basic recipe in French baking. It is frequently used in French pastry. e.g.) various puff pastries, fruit tarts, gateau Basque, etc.
Pastry Cream (crème pâtissière) Recipe
Serves: About 2 cups
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100g)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (31g)
- ¼ tablespoons corn starch (35g)
- 2 ½ cups whole milk (600ml)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract, or 1 gousse de vanille
- 1. In a mixing bowl of 6 egg yolks, add in ½ cup of granulated sugar. And cream together. Then add in ¼ cup of all-purpose flour and ¼ cup of corn starch and whisk until combined. Stir in 2 and ½ cups of boiled milk into the egg mixture.
- 2. Now pour the mixture back into the same pan. Stir in ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract. Over medium heat, bring to a boil stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- 3. When it thickens, transfer to a heat-proof bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly onto the surface. And let completely cool in the refrigerator before using.
If you add une gousse de vanille instead of vanilla extract, put it in the milk and boil it together. And remove the gousse de vanille before tempering into egg yolk mixture.