This is a super quick and easy pie crust, which is a part of next strawberry tarts recipe. It’s different from the pâte brisée video I uploaded before.
Let’s get cooking!
Subscribe for more videos.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted (156g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (* If you make sweet pie, add in 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar.)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold, diced (113g)
- 1 egg, medium-sized
- 2 tablespoons water, cold
For egg wash:
- additional 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon of water for egg wash
Preheat the oven at 355 degrees F (180 C). Butter and flour the pan: set aside.
Pulse (make the dough)
- In a food processor, add in flour and salt and pulse four to five times to combine.
- Add in the butter and pulse until it looks like sands.
- Break egg. Add egg mixture and water and pulse until it forms a ball.
Scrape out the dough. Then, with the heel of your hand, push the dough away from you flattening it. This motion is fraiser. It is for blending without overworking the dough. And form into a flat round disk.
Roll out the dough
With a rolling pin, spread it out pressing evenly. Always roll from the center of the dough. Use short strokes. Don’t try to flatten it all the way in one pass. Keep working until desired thickness, 0.1 inch here.
Line the pan
Roll the dough with a pin and line the pan. Push down the dough in the corners, don’t stretch. With a small ball of leftover dough, again press the corner evenly. Push extra dough inside of the rim, then roll the pin to cut off the excess.
- Now prick the bottom with a fork.
- And with aluminium foil or parchment paper, line the pastry shell and fill it with baking beans or rice.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the weights and brush tart shells with egg wash.
- The base is wet, because it was pressed down with baking beans. So, bake for another 10 minutes, or until the base is firm and dry.
- Let the tart cool in the pan.
This is le fond de tarte (bottom of tart in English literally), tart shell without filling.
Golden brown edges, dry side and bottom.
Subscribe for more videos