Chocolate Éclair is one of the best French dessert which can be made at home. And I have to admit that choux is one of my favorites. They are just so cute, aren’t they? You make small amount of dough, then it puffs up in the oven. Voila, you have suddenly so many little fluffy pastries in your kitchen! – This is a magic of twice-cooked French choux pastry.
You can be creative and build various beautiful desserts with choux. So it’s no wonder that Sant-Honorés are signature pastry for Ladureé, éclairs are for Fauchon in Paris. Today I made éclairs. It’s not difficult to make.
So, let’s get cooking!
But it is totally worth the time!
Make pate a choux (choux dough). See the video below:
Make the pastry cream first before making choux. And store in the refrigerator. The recipe video is below:
For crème pâtissière (pastry cream):
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar (50g)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk (300ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For pâte à choux (choux pastry):
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick; 57 g)
- ½ cup water (120 ml)
- ½ teaspoon salt (2.5 g)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (75 g)
- 2 eggs, medium-size
For egg wash for choux:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
For chocolate ganache:
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate chips (55g)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream (fat 35%) (60ml)
Make the choux
- * Read my choux dough recipe and watch my video.
- 1. First pipe choux fingers on parchment paper lined baking sheets. If you use pastry tip, choose half inch round pastry tip.
- 2. In the egg yolk, add in the water and mix. And brush the choux with egg wash. This will make the top shiny and brown. Then on top of choux score with a fork dipped in egg wash.
- 3. Bake at 390 degrees F (200 C) for 15 minutes. Then reduce to 360 degrees F (180 C) and bake for another 12-14 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Then let cool on a wire rack.
Make chocolate ganache
- 4. To make chocolate ganache, melt the chocolate on a double-boiler. If you want faster alternative, zap the chocolate in the microwave. Meanwhile add the cream in a mini sauce pan and bring to a boil. Pour the cream into the melted chocolate and stir until combined.
- * Read the pastry cream recipe and watch my video.
- 5. Fill the pastry cream.
- 6. On the bottom of the éclairs, make two holes with a tip of a small knife. With a small plain pastry tip, pipe filling into one of the holes. Stop piping when pastry cream starts to come out of the other hole. You can make holes on top if you want.
- 7. Glaze Dip éclairs into the ganache and remove excess chocolate wiping with an index finger.
- 8. When cooled, ganache has really spreadable consistency. To decorate on top, you can use melted white chocolate. And I am using violet food color.
I love my éclair filled with vanilla crème with chocolate ganache. And this is for my mother. In fact Choux pastry is one of few French desserts which my mother loves. It’s perfect for her. And me, too! But who doesn’t like choux pastry?