Today I am going to make easy moist carrot cake. It’s one of the most popular cakes in the United States and U.K. First I will make carrot cake and cream cheese frosting. It’s classic moist carrot cake, which is perfect for holidays like Christmas.
Enjoy this dense yet moist spicy carrot cake with cream cheese frosting which is delicately lemon flavored.
Moist Carrot Cake Recipe
For 8 persons, or a rectangular pan of 11 by 9 inch (28×22 cm)
Prep time: 40 min
Cooking time: 45 to 55 min
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (150 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon quatre-épices, or allspice *
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium carrot, grated (4.2 oz; 120 g)
- 1 orange, zest only (optional)
- 1/2 cup soft dark brown sugar (100 g)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (120 ml)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup walnut, chopped (60 g)
- 2 tablespoons raisins (1 oz; 28 g)
For cream cheese frosting:
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room-temperature (3.2 oz; 90 g)
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar (120 g)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened (5 oz; 142 g)
- 1 lemon, zest only (optional)*
1. Preheat oven to 340° F. (170° C.)
Grease the pan and line the parchment paper.
2. Grate carrot. And zest an orange (optional); set aside.
3. On a parchment paper, sifted flour, ground cinnamon, quatre-épices* (or allspice), baking powder, baking soda, and salt. When you sift large amount of flour, it’s better to use a paper than a mixing bowl. Whisk a little and set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, add in soft dark brown sugar and vegetable oil. Whisk to combine. Stir in eggs one at a time.
5. Pour the dry ingredients into wet mixture all at once. Fold until combined.
6. Finally fold in grated carrot, roughly chopped walnuts, and raisins. Fill in the baking pan.
7. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until an inserted wooden stick comes out clean.
8. Cream cheese frosting: In a mixing bowl, add cream cheese, unsalted butter, confectioner’s sugar, and lemon zest. Then cream altogether until homogeneous. Spread the frosting generously on top of carrot cake.
* Quatre-épices means literally “four spices” in French, which is a mixture of ground white pepper, grated cinnamon, ground cloves, ground ginger at the ratio of 1:1:1:1. Quatre-épices gives your carrot cake special spicy character. If you don’t have it, add in allspice, ground ginger or nutmeg.
If you use muffin tins, bake for 25 to 30 minutes.