Here goes how to make an easy apple pie which is inspired by chef Alain Passard of a Michelin restaurant, L’Arpege, in Paris. Rose puff pastry pie was on the 2009 spring menu. I was doing Le Cordon Bleu pastry course that time. I and my friend had classes in the afternoon. But I couldn’t miss the wonderful spring lunch menu on that sunny day.
I just changed the puff pasty filling with caramelized apple slices. This mini rose apple pie is a petit-four recipe with only six ingredients. This homemade mini rose apple pie will be perfect for any special occasion.
Rose apple pie. Isn’t it beautiful? I do love this lovely, light, yet delicious warm apple pie.
First, fill the mini tart shell with chopped nuts. Pipe in pastry cream over the nuts if you want creamy filling.
Cook apple slices on a frying pan with cinnamon sugar. Sugar will be caramelized.
Arrange slices separately on a large plate and let cool.
When cooled, roll the apple slices to make a rose.
Beautiful red rose. If you use green apple such as granny smith, you can make green roses.
Now decorate the mini pies.
Then make simple caramel glaze with sugar.
Finish the mini pies with caramel glaze.
- 6 mini pie crusts, baked (6 oz pie crust; 170g)
- 2 1/2 apples
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons chopped walnut
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100g)
- 1/4 cup water (60ml)
- 1. In a bowl mix granulated sugar and ground cinnamon.
- 2. Finely slice unpeeled apples.
- 3. In a large non-stick frying pan, spread sugar-cinnamon mixture, 1 tablespoon for one apple. When the sugar starts to melt, arrange apple slices and over medium heat cook for 1 minute without flipping.
- When the apple slices are wilted down, transfer them into a large plate. The caramelized side should face upwards, otherwise the slice might stick to the plate. And let completely cool. Repeat with the remaining apple slices. And divide chopped walnuts among the baked mini tart shells.
- 4. For apple roses, start with a small slice. Roll the slices until the rose reach the size you want. and roll it. Then arrange over the walnuts. Repeat until the mini tart shells are full of flowers.
- 5. Warm the pies in the oven preheated to 390 degrees F. (190C) for 5 minutes.
- 6. To make caramel glaze, add in granulated sugar in a thick-bottom pan. Over medium heat, melt sugar without water and cook until the sugar starts to turn into light brown. Very carefully add in 1/4 cup of water and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. And brush the apple roses with caramel glaze.
- Rose Apple Pie