Hi, here is the classic lemon Madeleine recipe. It’s quick and easy. It takes less than 30 minutes to enjoy this French butter cake. Madeleine is a classic French butter cake from Lorraine region of France. I learned how to make madeleines in the basic course of Le Cordon Bleu Paris. But I wanted madeleines in no time, so I chose the shortcut.
Madeleines are totally heavenly when it’s hot just out of oven. And I love the slight lemon flavor of them. Personally I prefer eating them with hot or cold milk rather than tea or coffee.
Here are three characteristics of my madeleine recipe:
1. You don’t have to incorporate air into the egg mixture because baking powder will do the job.
2. The madeleine pan in the freezer for 3 minutes.
3. No butter and flour on the non-stick pan. Why bother, if the madeleines come out clean anyway? I make madeleines regularly but never buttered and floured my pan.
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar (65g)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (65g)
- ¼ cup + 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted (65g)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons whole milk
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ lemon for lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla sugar (optional)
- 1. In the bowl of lemon zest, add an egg, milk, confectioner's sugar and a pinch of salt. Whisk all together and set aside.
- 2. In another bowl, add flour, baking powder and vanilla sugar. Whisk well, this eliminates the sifting process of flour.
- 3. Pour the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, and stir turning the bowl just until creamy. Add melted butter (cooled at room-temperture) into 3. Whisk for a while till thick ribbon is formed.
- 4. Fill ⅔ of madeleine molds with batter with two tablespoons. Only if you don't have non-stick pan, butter and flour before filling. Then put the pan in the freezer for 3 mintues, which is to settle the melted butter in the batter.
- 5. Bake in the oven preheated at 375°F (190°C) for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool the madeleines in the pan for one minute. Then transfer madeleines to the wire rack. Madeleines should come out clean after one mintue of rest in the non-stick pan.