Hi, today I am making buttermilk substitute.
Do you need buttermilk for cupcake recipes? Buttermilk is not available in certain Asian countries. But if you have milk and lemon juice (or white vinegar), you can make it yourself at home. Buttermilk is a slightly sour milk after all.
Buttermilk substitute. Make an occasionally used ingredient with everyday ingredients. :)
How to make Homemade Buttermilk – Buttermilk Substitute Recipe
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or 1 table spoon white vinegar with no strong vinegar smell)
- Pinch salt, optional
In a cup of whole milk stir in lemon juice.
Let sit for 5 minutes and it’s acidic and curdled. Your buttermilk is ready to use.
And there is no butter in buttermilk!
You can also make buttermilk substitute with:
- 3/4 cup of plain yogurt and 1/4 cup of milk, or
- 1 cup of milk and 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup tofu, 1/4 cup water, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, or
- 1 cup soy milk and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice