Looking for an easy side dish? Check out this lemony homemade coleslaw from scratch. This will make a perfect side dish for sandwiches, meat, chicken, etc.
I prefer picked coleslaw than fresh coleslaw. I love cabbage with lemony mayonnaise vinaigrette.
Homemade Coleslaw from Scratch Recipe
- 3 1/2 cups finely chopped cabbage (840ml)
- ¼ cup finely chopped carrot (60ml)
- 2 tablespoons minced onion (30ml)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (60ml)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (28g)
- ¼ cup milk (60ml)
- 1 tablespoon 2 teaspoons lemon juice (25ml)
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar (10ml)
- Salt (about 1/4 teaspoon) & pepper for seasoning
- A pinch of mustard powder, optional
1. In a large mixing bowl, add in 3 and 1/2 cups of finely chopped cabbage, ¼ cup of finely chopped carrot, and 2 tablespoons of minced onion. And stir to combine. Set aside.
2. In another mixing bowl, add in 1/4 cup of mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, ¼ cup of milk, 2 teaspoons of white vinegar, and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons lemon juice. I love lemon flavor in my coleslaw. And whisk until combined.
3. And pour in the vegetable mixture. And mix to combine. Finally, season with salt and pepper. I added about ¼ teaspoon of salt.
4. Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours to overnight before serving.