Today I am making Il Gnocchi di Patate, Italian potato gnocchi. It’s simple and easy to make at home and always anything homemade is better.
For 3-ingredient gnocchi, first, bake the potatoes.
Then finely mash baked potatoes.
Dust with flour on a working surface and add in an egg in the center of the potato mixture.
And make a dough.
Then roll out the dough.
And cut into pieces.
Then shape gnocchi with a fork.
Aren’t they cute?
Now cook in the boiling water and enjoy!Print
- 2 pounds baking potatoes (900g) (Idaho, russet, or désirée)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125g)
- More flour for dusting
- 1. First, bake the potatoes at 400 degres F (200C) for about 1 hour, or until fork-tender.
- 2. Out of oven, immediately spilt them open. Then peel off the flesh and add in a bowl. Mash with a potato masher or a fork. Season with salt. Continue mashing until smooth. Then add to a fine sieve and push the potato with a spoon. This will remove any lumps. You can use a food mill or a ricer.
- 3. Now sprinkle half of the flour on the clean working surface. And transfer the potato over the flour and spread evenly. Then sprinkle remaining flour over the potato. And make a well in the center and add in an egg yolk. Then break it with an index finger and make circles. And start kneading. It should form a slightly sticky dough. If it’s too sticky add flour a little more.
- 4. And roll out in half-inch thick with a rolling pin. And cut in ribbons with a pizza cutter or a knife. Roll a ribbon into a rope. Then cut the rope into 1-inch lengths.
- 5. Dust with flour on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll each piece into a ball. And arrange the dumplings on the sheet. Then lightly push a dumpling on the back of a fork to make a ridge pattern. Repeat with remaining dumplings.
- 6. In a large pan of generously salted boiling water, add gnocchi. Cook in batches, not all at once. I am cooking 10 dumplings at a time. Then cook until they rise to the surface. Cook them on the surface for additional 30 seconds. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a dish. The dumplings will get harder as they cool.
- 7. Serve with pomodoro sauce, pepper and cheese.
- Serving Size: 9
Buon appetito. I love my light, fluffy, and delicate gnocchi di patate. And I am cooking next batch.