Pastry cream (crème pâtissière) is a basic recipe in French baking. It is frequently used in French pastry. e.g.) various puff pastries, fruit tarts, gateau Basque, etc.
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100g)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (31g)
- ¼ tablespoons corn starch (35g)
- 2 ½ cups whole milk (600ml)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract, or 1 gousse de vanille
- 1. In a mixing bowl of 6 egg yolks, add in ½ cup of granulated sugar. And cream together. Then add in ¼ cup of all-purpose flour and ¼ cup of corn starch and whisk until combined. Stir in 2 and ½ cups of boiled milk into the egg mixture.
- 2. Now pour the mixture back into the same pan. Stir in ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract. Over medium heat, bring to a boil stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- 3. When it thickens, transfer to a heat-proof bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly onto the surface. And let completely cool in the refrigerator before using.